If you are looking for a fly fishing vacation of a lifetime, you will love the Central South Island of New Zealand. Allow Kevin Payne, a registered New Zealand professional fishing guide to take you on a guided experience specializing in sighted flyfishing for wild brown and rainbow trout. You will love the combination of large trout, un-crowded rivers and striking scenery.
We realize that finding the right quide on the web can be a difficult and confusing task.
You can feel confident that because I was born, live and fish here, my expertise lies in the fact that I have an intimate knowledge of my local rivers, weather and landowners. The advantage to you, the angler, of booking an experienced, full time, local, independent guide is that you will get fish with the business owner - we have a stake in your success.
· Executive Member of NZPFGA (member since 1998)
· Born and raised in the Central South Island
· Elected three-term councillor on the Central South Island Fish & Game Council
· Contributing photographer in the amazing book "The Hunt"
· Makes his own customized, "top secret" flies
· Represented by numerous overseas travel agencies
· Holder of a first aid certificate, 4WD certificate and OSH safety plan
· Provides Sage rods and Sage/Galvan reels, Simms waders and boots (no charge)
· Supplies tippet, leaders and all flies (at no cost to you)
· 2 hours south of Christchurch International Airport (transfers can be arranged)
The Kiwi style of spotting and stalking wild rainbow and brown trout is what makes your fishing experience here exciting, challenging and unique. Being guided is the best way to maximize your fishing time while in the South Island.
Your guide, Kevin, specializes in spotting fish with a trained eye and puts you in the best position to try and fool these crafty trout with nymphs and dry flies. We can cater to all skill levels from children and novices through advanced casters.
This region boasts a mix of spring creeks, freestone rivers and large braided glacial rivers. We are fortunate to be able to access our local back country rivers by 4WD without the need, or extra expense, of a helicopter, however taking a chopper is an option if preferred. Most days do involve some walking so being mobile is an advantage.
A few details about our service:
· Season runs from 1 October-30 April (some fishing is available all year around)
· We make you an itinerary tailored to suit you and your holiday plans, including catering for non-fishing partners, spouses, and children.
· Packages can start from Christchurch airport or hotel if needed.
· We work closely with top quality Bed & Breakfasts, Lodges and Farm Stays to ensure a good rest after your day. We also offer a private, secluded shepherd's hut for comfortable overnight stays and fly fishing at the front door.
· A guided day on the river is NZD$850 (maximum 2 people per guide). Prices include NZ's 15% GST, all equipment (Sage rods, Simms waders and boots, tippet, leaders, custom flies), wet weather clothing, Jodi's legendary riverside lunch and transport via comfortable 4wd.
· We have additional guides available to guide larger groups. We are now taking bookings. We look forward to hearing from you and helping you plan your trip.